There is more than one possible cause for this issue. This error will result if the logged in Microsoft® Windows® user does not have permissions that allow access to all files and folders in the datastore of the Parent (Publisher) database. This error will also occur when attempting Internet Synchronization if you are using Earthlink® as your Internet Service Provider (ISP) and have not disabled the Proxy server setting in Windows Internet Options.
To resolve this issue, you will need to ensure that you have permission to access all files and folders within the datastore of the Parent database. The datastore is defined as all folders and files under the <database_name> directory. By default, the datastore for the Parent database will be located in the following directory, depending on the version of ACT!:
Sage ACT! 2011 and newer:
Windows Vista/Windows 7 and later: C:\Users\Documents\<user name>\ACT\Act Data\Databases\<Database_Name>
ACT! by Sage 2010:
Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008: C:\Users\Documents\<user name>\ACT\Act for Windows 12\Databases\<Database_Name>
ACT! by Sage 2009:
Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008: C:\Users\Documents\<user name>\ACT\Act for Windows 11\Databases\<Database_Name>
ACT! by Sage 2008:
Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008: C:\Users\Documents\<user name>\ACT\Act for Windows 10\Databases\<Database_Name>
ACT! 2007: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 9\Databases\<Database_Name>
ACT! 2006: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 8\Databases\<Database_Name>
ACT! 2005: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\My Documents\ACT\ACT for Win 7\Databases\<Database_Name>
If your Parent (Publisher) database does not reside in the default location, you can determine the location by following the steps below:
- Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
- Type either act7diag (ACT! 2005), act8diag (ACT! 2006), or actdiag (ACT! 2007 and higher) into the Open field, and then click OK. Windows Vista/Server 2008 users would type this command in the Search box on the Start menu. The ACT! Diagnostics application launches.
- For ACT! 2005, 2006, and 2007, click the Databases button in the lower left corner. For ACT! 2008 and higher, click Databases, then Database List in the upper left.
Note for Sage ACT! 2011 Users: The "Database" and "Server" options have been relocated to the top toolbar. The following steps are the same regardless of what version of ACT! you have installed
- Locate your database name in the DATABASE column, and then scroll to the right to view the complete location of your database in the DATABASE FILE LOCATION column.
If you are not sure of how to change permissions for the files within the datastore of your Parent database, see your ACT! or Network administrator.
When you install Earthlink as your ISP, the Earthlink Total Access 2005 installer sets the internet options to use a Proxy server but leaves the server name and port blank. To resolve this issue, you must disable the Proxy server setting.
Follow the steps below:
- Launch the Windows Control Panel, and then click Internet Options. The Internet Options dialog box appears:
- Under the Connections tab, click the LAN Settings button. The Local Area Network (LAN) Settings dialog box appears:
- In the Proxy server section, clear the Use a proxy server for your LAN... option, and then click OK.