Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
Version: 2005 and later
Important Note: It is strongly recommended that you create a backup of your database before proceeding with the steps in this article, as the removal process cannot be undone. For information about database backups, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to back up and restore an Act! database
Answer ID How to back up and restore an Act! database
You can remove Notes, Histories, Cleared activities, and Document tab entries that are older than a specified number of days. Doing so can decrease the size and increase the efficiency and speed of your database. To remove old data:
- Ensure everyone is logged out of the database and lock it. For information on locking a database, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to lock an Act! Database
Answer ID How do I lock or unlock an Act! database?
- Click Tools > Database Maintenance > Remove Old Data…
- Place a checkmark next to each information type that you would like to clean up
- For each information type you selected, set the older than number of days you desire to remove from the database
For Example: If you placed a check mark next to Notes and you enter 365 days, then every Note in the database older than 365 days will be permanently removed.
- Click OK, then review the confirmation window that appears
- When ready to delete the old data, click Yes
- When prompted to reindex the database, choose Yes (recommended)
Note: If you would rather reindex the database at a later time, you may do so by performing a Check and Repair at a later time when you are ready. For instructions, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
Act! database rebuild and repair procedures
Answer ID Act! database rebuild and repair procedures
- Once the reindex of the database has completed, click OK
- Unlock the database using the same process from step 1