Personal Files folders are automatically created during installation of ACT!. These folders store data that is not associated with a specific contact record. The Personal Files can also include copies of the database supplemental files: for example, if you are writing a letter or report template that you do not want to store in your database or share with other users, you can store it with your personal supplemental files.
Personal Files include:
- Documents (such as letters) you have saved
- Internet links
- Spell check Dictionaries
- Menus and Toolbars
You can also change the default location for saving your Personal Files by changing the Location listed from the General tab in the ACT! Preferences dialog box. A custom Location can be specified for each File type: (as illustrated below):
To backup your Personal Files, follow the steps below:
- Click the File menu, point to Back Up, and then click Personal Files. The Back Up Personal Files dialog box appears:
Note: The Back up files to: field is populated with a file path pointing to the default Backup folder. If you wish to change the location for this backup file, click the Browse button, navigate to the folder in which you wish to save your personal files, and then click Save.
- Enable the Password protect file option (if desired), clear the check box for any personal files types you do not wish to include in your back up, and then click OK.
- If you choose to password protect your back up file the following Enter Backup Password dialog box appears.
- Type your password for this back up in both fields, and then click OK. The Backup Personal Files progress indicator appears as your personal files are saved:
- When the process is complete you will receive a Backup completed successfully dialog box. Click OK to complete the process.
To restore Personal files that have been backed up, follow the procedure below:
- Click the File menu, point to Restore, and then click Personal Files. The Restore Personal Files dialog box appears:
- Click the Browse button. An Open dialog appears.
- Navigate to (if necessary) and then double-click your backup file. The Restore Personal Files dialog box re-appears with the Restore from field now populated with the file path to your backup. Click OK.
- If you choose to Password protect this back up the following Enter Password dialog box appears.
- Type your password for this back up, and then click OK. The following ACT! confirmation message appears when your personal files are successfully restored: