Symptom: My Act! address book is missing as an option in Microsoft Outlook
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium, Act! Premium (access via web)
Version: 2008 to v22.0
Third Party: Microsoft Outlook
This can occur if Act! information is missing from the MAPISVC.INF file, a Windows file that Outlook retrieves address book types from. The information can be missing because an additional file location does not have the MAPISVC.INF file (Outlook 2016 only), because the mapi.dll file is damaged, or if Act! did not install properly.
Copy the MAPISVC.INF file to the system folder (Outlook 2016 only)
If the above steps did not work, and you are using Outlook 2016, you may be able to resolve the issue by following the steps below:
- Close Act! and Outlook
- Navigate to the following path, depending on your operating system type:
Note: Not all installations will have this folder location. If you do not, skip to the next section of this article
- 64-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX86\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033
- 32-bit: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\VFS\ProgramFilesCommonX86\SYSTEM\MSMAPI\1033
- Open a separate explorer window, then navigate to either C:\Windows\System32 or C:\Windows\SysWOW64, then copy the MAPISVC.INF file from here to the location from step 2
- Reopen Act! and Outlook and attempt to configure the address book.
Run a batch file to add the information
- Close Outlook and Act!
- Download and save the KB - 22776.bat from the File Attachments section of this article
- Double-click the file to run it
- Open Outlook and attempt to add the Act! address book
Rebuild the MAPI32.dll file
If the above steps do not work, follow the steps below to rebuild MAPI32.dll:
Note: This information is provided as a convenience. Act! does not provide support for Microsoft products. If you require assistance with the steps in this section, contact Microsoft or an IT professional.
- Close Act! and Outlook
- Ensure you are logged into Windows as an Administrator user
- Browse to C:\Windows\System32
- Locate and right-click mapi32.dll, then choose Properties
- Change the ownership of mapi32.dll from TrustedInstaller to the Windows Administrator user you are logged into. For information on how to do this, refer to the following Microsoft documentation:
Take Ownership of a File or Folder
- After changing the ownership, close out of the Advanced Security Settings window and go back to the Properties window
- Under the Security tab, click Edit…
- From the list of Group or usernames, select the Windows Administrator user you are logged into, enable the “Allow” option for Full control under the list of Permissions, then click OK
- Rename mapi32.dll to mapi32.OLD
- In the same directory as what is now mapi32.OLD, locate Fixmapi.exe and double-click to run it
- Verify that mapi32.dll was recreated
- Open Outlook and attempt to add the Act! address book to test
Uninstall and Reinstall Act!
If the above steps do not work, then it may be necessary to uninstall and reinstall Act!,