To import multi-select data, please use the following steps:
You must first prepare your .csv file. Your file should follow the format below:
The Customer column represents the name of the Contact that you are importing the information into.
The Favorite Restaurant column represents the drop-down list items that you want checked for that contact.
Importing Text Delimited Contacts:
- Open the database that you will be using as the destination database.
- Click the File menu, and then click Import. The Import Wizard launches.
- If the Welcome to the Import Wizard dialog box appears, and then click Next. The Specify Source dialog box appears:
- Ensure that Text Delimited is displayed in the What type of file do you want to import? field.
- Click the browse button to the right of the File name and location field. An Open dialog box appears.
- Navigate to the text delimited file (.txt) you would like to import, and then click Open.
- Click Next. The Specify record type(s) dialog box appears:
- Enable the radio button for Contact Records and then click Next. The Specify Import Options dialog box appears:
- Enable the Comma field separator in the Select field separator.
Important Note: If the Yes, import the first record option is enabled while importing a Text Delimited file, the Contact Map will NOT display correctly. This is a known issue that is under investigation. Please be sure to clear this option.
- Click Next, the following Contact Map dialog box appears:
- The Map from this field column represents the fields in the Text Delimited (source) file you are importing. The To this field column represents the fields in the current (destination) ACT! database. Complete the mapping by ensuring the To this field column has an entry for each field that you wish to receive data into. If a field is not mapped in the To this field column, any data in the source field will not be imported into the ACT! database. To change the mapping of a particular field, click in the To this field column, and then click the desired field from the drop-down.
If the source column does not list entries as expected, click the advance button to advance to the next record in the source file. You may need to click this button several times to find a record from the source file that will give you complete mapping information.
Note: you can only map a field to one other field, selecting the field again in this list will remove the first selection.
- When all fields have been mapped as desired, click Next. The Specify Merge Options dialog box appears:
Note: Enabling the Confirm each match option will create a warning for any Contact that matches on two or more duplicate checking criteria fields, if you have many records in either database that will match your duplicate criteria, you will be prompted to manually confirm every match. This can cause delays importing a large number of matching records.
- Click the Contact Merge Options button, the Merge Options dialog box appears. In the If the source records match the destination records - Contact records drop-down list, select Merge. In the If the source records do not match the destination records - Contact records select Add.
- When the options have been set, click Next. The Completing Import Wizard dialog box appears:
- Review your settings, and then click Finish to begin the import process. A progress indicator appears as the text file is imported:
Note: The amount of time required for an import depends upon the amount of data being imported (Contacts, Activities, Notes/History, Opportunities, and so on), the speed of the computer performing the import, and the available network bandwidth if accessing a databases stored on a network drive. Please do not interrupt the process.