You attempt to open your Act! database when you receive the following error message: "Error in the Application." This error may be followed by "ACT! has encountered a problem and needs to close."
There is more than one possible solution for this issue. Please try the solutions below in the order they are listed:
Restart the SQL Server
You may be able to resolve this issue by restarting the SQL Server service on your local machine. Follow these steps:
- Close Act!.
- Right click your Windows® Start button. On the Start menu, select Run. Type in services.msc.
- When the list of services opens, scroll and find the service SQL Server (ACT7).
- Right-click on this service and select Restart. The service will stop, then start again.
- Close the services window and attempt to open your database.
This error may occur when attempting to upgrade your ACT! database from a previous version. You can attempt to resolve this issue by verifying that ACT! has been successfully registered. For more information on registering ACT!, please refer to the following Knowledgebase Answer:
Answer ID: How to Register and Activate ACT!
Once ACT! has been registered, reattempt to open your database.
User Account Control
This can also be caused by the User Account Control (UAC) security of Microsoft® Windows® by limiting application software to standard user privileges until an administrator authorizes an increase in privilege level.
You can work around this issue by launching ACT! as an administrator or disabling UAC. Please refer to the following Knowledgebase Answers:
Answer ID: Error: “Administrator level Access is required to register this Product” when attempting to register Act! on Windows Vista or later
Amend the Everyone user group to allow full control.
- Right click the folder that contains the database files > Properties > Sharing > Permissions.
- Select Everyone > select the Allow Full Control check box > Apply > OK.
Damaged .pad file
- Launch Window Explorer (or open My Computer).
- Browse to and delete the .PAD file associated with your database (normally C:\Users\<user_name>\Documents\ACT\ACT Data\Databases). If you database is named Contacts your .PAD file will be Contacts.pad.
- Close Windows Explorer (or My Computer).
- Launch ACT!. If presented with the login dialog box, click Cancel to close.
- Click the File menu, and then click Open Database. The Open dialog box appears.
- Click ACT! Database (*.ADF) from the Files of type drop-down.
- Click the .ADF file associated with your database, (if you database is named Contacts your .ADF file will be Contacts.adf) and then click Open. Login if needed. This will recreate the .PAD file.