You are installing SQL Server 2008 R2 along with your ACT! installation and the SQL Server installation fails with an error referring to failure to generate XML document and error code 0x84B10001.
This error can be caused by a missing registry key. Please follow the steps below to add this key to your Windows® Registry:
Note: In order to access and edit the registry, you will need to be logged into Windows as a local administrator.
- Cancel the SQL Server and ACT! installation (if still in progress).
- Click your Windows Start button, and on the Start menu, either select Run or go to the Search box at the bottom of the Start menu. Type in regedit and press Enter on your keyboard.
- Make a backup of your registry by going to File > Export. Type in a name for the backup, choose the All option for the range, and save.
- Locate the main key HKEY_CURRENT_USER. Using the + signs to expand down, drill down to the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
- Right-click on the User Shell Folder key and select New, then Expandable String Value.
- A new key will appear at the bottom of the list on the right side. Name this key AppData.
- Double-click on the new AppData key. The Edit String dialog box will appear.
- For the Value Data, type in (or cut and paste from here) the following: %USERPROFILE%\Application Data
- Click OK to save, then close the registry editor.
- Reboot your machine, then re-try the installation.