You would like to know if there is a way to convert your existing ACT! Word Processor templates (.tpl files) to Word templates (.adt files), or vice-verse.
Products: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
Version: 2005 and later
There is not a utility that will convert ACT! Word Processor (.tpl) templates to Word (.adt) templates as these two applications are incompatible. This must be done manually, one template at a time. Follow the steps below for the recommended method to do this:
- Open Act!
- Click the Tools menu, select Preferences, then click the Communications tab. Ensure the Word is selected as your default word processor.
- In Windows® Explorer, browse to the location of your Act! database. Open the folder for your data files (database name-database files), then open the Templates folder
- Right-click on one of the .tpl files you would like use with Word, select Open With, and choose Act!. The template will open in the ACT! Word Processor.
- In Act!, click the Write menu, then select New Letter/E-mail Template. A blank template will open in Word.
- Go back to the .tpl file your opened in ACT! Word Processor and highlight all the content in the template. Right-click and select Copy.
- Go to the blank template in Word, right-click and select Paste.
- You must now update the merge field holders in the Word template. To do this, you will need to delete the merge field holders you copied from the .tpl file and replace them with the corresponding field from the Add Mail Merge Fields dialog box in the Word template.
- Once you have replaced all the merge fields, then save the template. It will now be available when doing a mail merge with Word in Act!.
- Repeat these steps for any other .tpl templates you would like to use with Word and Act!.
For more information on creating mail merge templates in Act!, please see the following Knowledgebase article:
Answer ID: How to Create a Document Template in ACT!