Symptom: I am trying to add a new field to my database but the Define Fields option is grayed out.
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
Version: 2005 and later
This will occur if you are not logged into the database as an Act! Administrator, or if you are logged into a remote database.
You are not an Act! administrator
In order to be able to add fields to the database, you must be logged into the database as an Act! user whose security role is Administrator.
- Determine your security role by following the steps in the following knowledgebase article:
How to determine your Security Role in Act!
- If you are not an Administrator, have your Administrator log in to try to create the field
If you are logged into the database as an Administrator already, and the option is still grayed out, proceed to the next section
You are logged into a remote database
Database fields must be created from the main database, then synchronized over to a remote database after they have been created. They cannot be created from a remote database. You can determine whether you are in a remote database by following the steps below:
- While logged into the database, click Help > About Act!
- Click Database Information…
- Under Database Settings Information, locate Sync Role under the Database Setting column
- If Sync Role is listed as Subscriber, you are logged into a remote database and will need to logon to the main database as an Administrator to create new fields in the database