When attempting to manually install the Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 (Express) instance for Act! you get the Error: “The following error has occurred: Could not find the Database Engine startup handle.”
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium
Engine: Microsoft SQL 2008 R2 (Express)
Cause: This error can occur if a Microsoft system folder is either missing or lacking the correct permissions.
- Go to the Run prompt.
- Type in %appdata% and click OK.
- Click on Microsoft folder.
- Locate the Protect folder and assign the correct permissions.
Note: If the Protect folder is missing, you will need to create it in the Microsoft folder.
- Right-click on the Protect folder and select Properties.
- Click on the Security tab and ensure that both System and the logged in user have Full control access.
- Edit the user properties by clicking Edit.
- Click OK > OK to save the changes.
- Attempt to install Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (Express).