Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro, Act! Premium, Act! Premium (access via web)
Version: 2005 and higher
Note: The steps in this article only apply if you are upgrading to the latest version from versions 2005 and higher. For information on updating to the latest version from Act! 3.x, 4.x, 5.x (2000), or 6.x (2004), refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to convert an ACT! 3.x, 4.x, 5.x (2000) or 6.x (2004) database to versions 2005 and higher
Answer ID: How to convert an ACT! 3.x, 4.x, 5.x (2000) or 6.x (2004) database to versions 2005 (v7) through v19.1
Section 1 - Important notes before upgrading
- Prior to upgrading, make sure that your computer or computers meet the system requirements for the version you wish to upgrade. For information on system requirements, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
What are the system requirements for Act!?
Answer ID: What are the system requirements for Act!?
- Prior to upgrading, it is STRONGLY recommended that you create backups of your e-mail (if you’re using Internet Mail) and contact databases as the process of updating the database is irreversible once initiated unless you have a backup created in the previous version of Act!. For information on creating backups, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
How to Back Up and Restore an ACT! Database
Answer ID: How to back up and restore an Act! database
How to Back Up and Restore Your ACT! E-mail Database
Answer ID: How to Back Up and Restore Your ACT! E-mail Database
- If you have been using Act! 2005 or higher and also have an installed copy of Act! 2004 (6.0) or earlier where you were using Internet Mail with Act!, the Internet Mail will be converted again during the installation of Act! v16. This can cause issues with your new installation of Act!. It is strongly recommended that you rename your Email folder. It is suggested that you rename this folder to ACT6_Email. The default location is C:\Documents and Settings\
- If the database is a shared database, it will be necessary to initiate the update of the database from the machine where the database files actually reside. Once completed, all database users will need to update their Act! versions before they will be able to access the database again.
- If you’re using remote synchronization, it is recommended that all remote database users synchronize with the main database and the main database is backed up prior to upgrading. If you’re using Act! Premium and use the Network or Internet Sync Services to synchronize, it will be necessary, once the upgrade is complete, to uninstall the previous version of the Network and/or Internet Sync Services and install the new version of the Network and/or Internet Sync Services. For more information, refer to the following knowledgebase articles:
How to uninstall the Act! Network Sync Service
Answer ID: How to uninstall the Act! Network Sync Service
How to uninstall the Act! Internet Sync Service
Answer ID: How to uninstall the Act! Internet Sync Service
How to install and configure the Act! Network Sync Service
Answer ID: How do I install and configure the Act! Network Sync Service?
How to install and configure the Act! Internet Sync Service
Answer ID: How do I install and configure the Act! Internet Sync Service?)
- It is recommended that if you use a software-based firewall, that you temporarily disable it prior to installing Act!. Once Act! has been installed, you can then re-enable your firewall. Consult your firewall’s documentation for information on disabling and enabling your firewall.
- It is recommended that if you currently have Act! version 2005 or higher installed on your machine, that you uninstall it through the Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP, Server 2003) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Windows 8) before installing the latest version of Act!
Section 2 - Upgrading to the latest version of Act!
- Install Act!. For information on how to install Act!, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
- Once Act! has finished installing, launch the program and open the database you wish to upgrade
- When prompted to back up the database, click Yes or No
- In the Back Up Database window, choose a file location and a name, then click OK to back up the database
- Once the confirmation that the backup is complete has appeared, click OK to proceed
- When prompted to update the database, click OK to begin the update process
- When the update confirmation box appears, click OK to complete the upgrade and open your database
- Repeat the above steps to convert any additional databases to the new format
How do I install Act!?
Answer ID: How do I install Act!?
Note: If you decide to click No, skip to step 6.
Note: The time it takes to update a database depends on the speed of your machine and the size of the database. A typical update can take from 5-15 minutes.