- Product Family: Emarketing
- Product: Act! Marketing Automation
This error is most commonly caused by an invalid API URL preference in your Act! database. Verifying and correcting this URL with the batch file supplied at the bottom of this article can resolve the issue. See below for more information
For Act! Marketing Automation to function correctly, there are a few prerequisites:
An active Act! Premium subscription with an associated AMA subscription is required. Ensure your installation of Act! is correctly registered as per the below article:
How to Register or Activate Act! from v21.1 Onwards
Your Act! API, either serviced by the Act! Web API or the Act! Connect Link, needs to be secure (accessed over https) and externally accessible. For more information on ensuring your Act! API connection has been correctly set up, please see the below article:
How do I set up the Act! API?
The secure API URL needs to be correctly applied to your database in the form of a preference stored in the database itself. Depending on your Act! deployment this preference is named ‘UPWARD_API_STREAMER’ (Act! Premium/Premium for Web) or ‘APCAPIURL’ (Act! Premium Cloud).
This setting should be automatically applied correctly when the API is configured, however in some rare cases this setting can be incorrect. See below for more information on resolving an incorrect database preference.
Please Note: We strongly recommend you update your Act! software to V21 Update 5 as a minimum due to some known issues that were resolved in this version of the software.
Updates for Act! are available to download here.
The database preference mentioned above is not exposed via the Act! software so it is necessary to use the attached batch file ‘GetSetAPIURL.bat’ on your database server to both view and correct your API URL if incorrect.
Follow the below instructions to verify the API URL that your database is using to connect to your AMA account. These steps need to be carried out on your database server.
- Close Act! if it’s already open
- Download the attached file ‘GetSetAPIURL.bat’
- Right-click the file and select ‘Run as Administrator’ from the context menu
- When prompted, type in the database name you wish to check and press Enter
- If present, the API URL your database is currently configured to use will be displayed
- If incorrect, type an upper-case ‘Y’ and press Enter
- Type the correct API URL for your database and press Enter
- Your database should now be configured correctly. Restart Act! and test the AMA feature
Additional information for Act! Web API users
If you use the Act! Web API with an Act! Premium for Web deployment, you may also see this error if your Act! Web API isn’t configured correctly. Please refer to the following support article for guidance:
How to Configure Act! Premium for Web for Act! API Features