It is recommended that a list simulation is run before activating a campaign so that any issues with contacts in the group can be identified and resolved before sending.
A list simulation can also be run after the campaign is sent. For example, if there is a difference between the number of emails you expected to be sent (based on the number of contacts in the group) and the number of emails that show as sent on your campaign dashboard.
What is a List Simulation?
List Simulation shows what will happen when you send your campaign to the group you have specified. It shows the group's contacts the campaign will request to send to, with a status for each contact of one of the following:
- Valid - This is a valid email address.
- Invalid - This is not a valid email address.
- Bounced - This contact has previously bounced and is being suppressed from email sends.
- Unsubscribed - This contact has previously unsubscribed and is being suppressed from email sends.
- Duplicate - There is more than 1 occurrence of this email address in the list. We will not send to the recipient multiple times, however. We will always de-dupe.
- Exclude - If applicable, this recipient is in one of your Exclusion Lists that you have associated with this campaign. This contact will therefore not receive the email.
NOTE: This information shown is based on past marketing activity with the contacts in your group. So, if you have never mailed to a specific contact before and the email address is valid, we will not know if they will bounce or if they will receive the email in their inbox. For that reason, this is not to be used as a list cleaner for new lists.
To run a list simulation for your campaign, whilst the campaign is open (the workflow is on screen):
- Select the Actions menu in the top right
- Click on List Simulation
- Click Send Report at the prompt stating “This function will send you an email with all recipients for this campaign. It will report the status of each recipient (valid, unsubscribe, bounced).”
The report will be sent to the email address associated with your Act! Marketing Automation user.
The number of emails sent by the campaign once activated (as per the campaign dashboard) will equal the number of contacts in the group for the campaign minus the contacts on the list simulation which show a status of Bounced, Unsubscribed, Duplicate, Exclude or Not Valid.
If no results, or fewer than expected, come back from the list simulation then there may be a:
- Connectivity issue
- Problem with the contact(s)
- Problem with the group; it is either a damaged group or the group contains no contacts
- Mistake and the group used was not the one intended to be used.