It is recommended that a list simulation is run before activating a campaign so that any issues with contacts in the group can be identified and resolved before sending.
A list simulation can also be run after the campaign is sent. For example, if there is a difference between the number of emails you expected to be sent (based on the number of contacts in the group) and the number of emails that show as sent on your campaign dashboard.
What is a List Simulation?
List Simulation shows what will happen when you send your campaign to the group you have specified. It shows the contacts within the group the campaign will request to send to with additional information including:
- If they are on a suppression list (e.g. unsubscribes or bounces)
- If the email address is duplicated within the group
- If the email address is not valid
To run a list simulation for your campaign, whilst the campaign is open (the workflow is on screen):
- Select the ‘Actions’ menu in the top right
- Click on ‘List Simulation’
- Click ‘Send Report’ at the prompt stating “This function will send you an email with all recipients for this campaign. It will report the status of each recipient (valid, unsubscribe, bounced).”
The report will be sent to the email address associated with your Act! Marketing Automation user.
The number of emails sent by the campaign (as per the campaign dashboard) will equal the number of contacts in the group for the campaign minus the contacts on the list simulation which show a status of Bounced, Unsubscribed, Duplicate or Not Valid.
If no results, or fewer than expected, come back from the list simulation then there may be a:
- Connectivity issue
- Problem with the contact(s)
- Problem with the group; it is either a damaged group or the group contains no contacts
- Mistake and the group used was not the one intended to be used.