Question: How Can I Create My Own Scoring Profile in Act! Marketing Automation?
Product Family: Act! Growth Suite
Tier: Professional, Premier, Ultimate
In Act! Marketing Automation it is possible to set up scoring profiles in the Admin section that can be used in your drip marketing campaigns. This allows the system to automatically assign a score to each individual contact who interacts with your campaigns. For example, you could create scoring profiles based around how many times a contact has opened one of your emails, or how many times they have clicked on links within those emails. These scores will then appear within the Marketing Automation tab in their contact record. For more information on this tab, please see the following article:
To assist users in getting started with using scoring profiles, we have added a Default scoring profile to AMA. This profile has been created in all AMA accounts and maps to an AMA Score field in the Act! contact record. This field will automatically populate or update every 4 hours as contacts interact with your campaigns and can easily be viewed directly on the contact record. You can perform lookups on this field as normal should you wish to.
You can edit any of the existing rules to change the points assigned to each action, change the push rules, etc. Below we review each action type, action accumulation and push rules.
It is also possible to create your own Scoring Profile if you prefer. To do so, please follow the steps below:
- Within Marketing Automation, click Admin.
- Choose Scoring from the dropdown list and click Go.
- Click the Actions menu and choose New Profile.
- Give the profile a Name and click Save.
- You will then be prompted to add your first Rule Type:
- The Rule Types available are as follows:
- Email Clicked: Score for clicking a link in any campaign or the selected campaign and email.
- Email Opened: Score for opening any email or an email in a specific campaign.
- Event Attended: Score for being marked as “event attended” when importing your list of attendees/registered in an Event Campaign.
- Event Registered: Score for being marked “registered” when importing your list of attendees/registered in an Event Campaign.
- Landing Page Completed: Score for completing any landing page or a specific landing page.
- Web Page Visited – Any: Score for hitting any web page on the customer’s web site (must be cookied in order to identify and score).
- Web Page Visited – URL: Score for hitting a specific URL on the customer’s web site (must be cookied in order to identify and score). When entering the URL, you ONLY add whatever comes after the / at the end of the URL domain. This is because the customer’s web domain is already assumed and placed through their web tracking script. For example, if you would like to score on the following URL (https://www.act.com/resources), you would enter /resources into the rule.
- Web Page Visited – Title: Score for hitting a specific page title on the customer’s web site (must be cookied).
NOTE: You MUST have a unique domain set up for your account in order for web tracking cookies to work correctly. If you have set up your account using the default swiftpage.marketing domain, you will not be able to track the recipients' cookies. For information on adding a custom CNAME for web activity tracking, read the following article: How do I create a CNAME Record for use with AMA Web Activity Tracking
- Choose a Score for this particular rule. You may wish to assign different values to different rules based on how interested you think the recipient would be. For example, if a recipient opens an email, they may have just skimmed it and discarded it. However if they have clicked on a link within an email, this would indicate they had read it and were interested enough to click your link to find out more information, so you may choose to assign a higher score to this.
- Assign how far back the rule will apply using the Days Back field. If for example you have chosen 30 days based on email opened, then when a recipient opens your email they will retain the score you assigned for 30 days before it will be removed.
- Accumulate Scores allows you to decide if you wish for the recipient to continually increase their score if they perform the same action. If this is NOT ticked, they will only receive the score once. For example, if you assigned a score of 1 for email opened and the recipient opened it 5 times, they would receive a score of 1 if the option is NOT ticked, or 5 if it is ticked.
- If you wish, you can apply this rule to a specific campaign, or even a specific email within that campaign. Alternatively you may wish to have the rule apply for any of your campaigns, which is the default setting.
- Once you have completed the relevant fields for your rule, click Go.
- Now that you have added your first rule, you can choose to edit that rule, or click the Actions menu and click Add Rule if you want to add further rules to your scoring profile.
- You also have the ability to choose to map your scoring profile to a field in Act!. This is highly recommended as it will allow you to very easily see a contact's score at a glance when you view their record in Act!. it will also allow you to perform searches, or even create groups based on that field. To do this, choose the dropdown next to Map to Field near the top of the screen.
NOTE: You may wish to create your own custom field first in Act! and add it to your contacts' layout.
- Once you have added all of the rules you would like to your profile, make sure that the Status field is set to Active, then click the Actions menu and choose Save & Return.
Once your scoring profile has been set to active, you will begin scoring. In addition to seeing the score in your contact card in Act! by viewing the scoring field, you can also see scores in the scoring profile. To see the most up-to-date scores, first click the Actions dropdown and click Rescore. AMA will then run through all of your set rules and update your system. You will receive an email notification once the Rescore is completed.
Once completed, from the scoring profile page, click the Actions dropdown and click View Scores. You will be taken to your Scoring Results page where you can view all contacts who have earned a score. You can drill into any contact in this list by clicking the eye icon next to a contact's email address. A window will pop up showing you how they earned their score.
NOTE: We update the scoring field that you scoring profile is mapped to in Act! every 4 hours.