NOTE: You MUST be using a custom domain in order to set up DKIM, otherwise you will not see the options listed in the article below. For more information on custom domains, please see the article below:
How can I set up Act! marketing Automation to send email campaigns from my domain?
Answer ID How can I set up Act! marketing Automation to send email campaigns from my domain?
DKIM, or DomainKeys Identified Mail, is a method to validate the authenticity of email messages. When each email is sent, it is signed using a private key and then validated on the receiving mail server (or ISP) using a public key in DNS. This process verifies that the message was not altered during transit. In addition to verifying the authenticity of an email message, DKIM also provides a way for ISPs to track and build a reputation on your domain’s sending history.
When creating and adding your custom CNAMES, you will also need to add a DKIM record to your network's DNS. To add a DKIM record in AMA:
- Click Admin in the top menu in AMA.
- From the "What would you like?" drop down, select Email Domains then click Go.
- Once on the email domains page, click the Actions drop down under the domain you need to add a DKIM record for and select Edit.
- Important Note: When a DKIM key is generated for a sending domain in AMA, the domain will be disabled until the DNS changes are verified to prevent sending email that will fail DKIM authentication.
- Click the Create DKIM button.
- You will see the following pop up with an important note:
- Once create is selected we will create the DKIM and output it on the page like so:
- The Create DKIM button will then be changed to Verify DKIM (NOTE: You will not be able to send until your DKIM is verified).
- What to do with the output from Create DKIM:
- Add a TXT record to your domain’s DNS
- Follow instructions from your DNS hosting provider (help articles below from common hosting providers)
- To create the TXT record, your DNS hosting provider will usually require a Hostname/Zone name or a Selector, and the record Value.
- Copy/paste the fields from DKIM output field in AMA to the corresponding fields on your DNS provider’s form (Note that depending on your provider, all fields may not be used).
- Once your DKIM key has been added to your DNS, click the Verify DKIM button.
- Once verified, check the Enabled checkbox and click Save.
Below are some articles on how to add TXT records to some of the most popular domain registrars:
Disclaimer: These articles below are hosted through 3rd parties and can not be supported by the Act! support team. If you are unable to add your CNAME into AMA because it can not be authenticated, this means the CNAME was not set up properly on your network. Some proprietors assume your domain and some do not. For example, GoDaddy often assumes your domain, so instead of adding the full CNAME in the host portion, you would only need to add click points to click.swiftpage.marketing. If you are unsure if your domain is assumed or not and support is needed when adding your CNAMES into your network, please reach out to your proprietor.