How do I set up Act! Link for Accounting v3.0.2 and later?
Product Family: Act!
Product: Act! Pro (UK edition), Act! Premium (UK edition)
Version: v18 and later
Integration: Act! Link for Accounting
Third Party: Sage 50 Accounts v21 and later, Sage Instant Accounts
Note: While Act! provides support for the Act! Link for Accounting, Act! does not provide support for Sage 50 Accounts or Sage Instant Accounts. For specific assistance with Sage 50 Accounts or Sage Instant Accounts, contact Sage Software for assistance
IMPORTANT: In order to successfully install and configure Act! Link for Accounting, it is necessary that you ensure that each of the following prerequisites have been completed.
- It is recommended that you create a backup of your Act! database before proceeding with these steps. For information on creating database backups, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
- How to back up and restore an Act! database
Answer ID How to back up and restore an Act! database
Sage Accounts must be installed on every PC that intends to use Act! Link for Accounting
- The Act! Link for Accounting program must be installed on every PC that intends to use the link, however, it will only need to be registered and configured on the server
- In your Sage Accounts database, it is necessary to create a new user with Full Access permissions. This new username will not be used by an actual user, rather it will be used to connect Act! Link for Accounting to your Sage Accounts database. For information on how to create a new Sage Accounts user, refer to the following Sage documentation:
- How to set up your access rights, logon names and passwords
It is necessary to ensure that your Sage Accounts Data Directory has its share permissions set to Everyone. For information on locating and setting share permissions for your Accounts Data Directory, refer to the following Sage documentation:
- How to relocate, share and point to Sage Accounts data over a network
If you are using Sage Accounts in a multi-user environment, after setting the share permissions, it is necessary to change the Data Directory to show the UNC Path. For more information, refer to the following Sage documentation:
Installing the Act! Link for Accounting program
- Close Act! and double-click the Act! Link for Accounting program setup file
- On the Welcome to the Act! Link for Accounting (Sage Accounts-UK) Setup Wizard screen, click Next
- If desired, click Browse… to browse to and select a custom installation directory, otherwise click Next to continue the installation process
- On the Confirm Installation screen, click Next to begin installing
- Once installed and the Install Complete screen appears, click Close to close the Setup Wizard
- Repeat the above steps for any computers which will use Act! Link for Accounting
Registering Act! Link for Accounting
Once the Act! Link for Accounting has been installed, it must be registered. While this registration only needs to take place on the server, it is necessary to register it for each Act! database that will be using the link.
Note: You will be prompted to register every time you open an Act! database that has not been registered. If you have databases that you won’t be using Act! Link for Accounting with, the program will prompt you to register every time for as long as the Act! Link for Accounting program is installed.
- Open your Act! database
- When prompted, enter the Company Name and License Key provided to you when you purchased Act! Link for Accounting, then click Activate
- Under Licensed Users, place a check mark next to each Act! user you wish to allow to use Act! Link for Accounting
Note: You can only place a check mark to as many Act! users as you have licenses, as displayed in the Users column under the License Keys section
- Click OK to complete the registration, then OK again when the Thank you notification appears
Enabling the link and connecting to the Sage Accounts database
Note: These steps should only be performed on the server
- In Act!, click Accounting > Settings
- Check the box next to Enable Sage Link
- In the Sage Data Directory field, enter the UNC path from the Prerequisites section at the beginning of this article
- In the Act! PAD File Path field, check the location is correct or change it if necessary.
- In the Act! Login section, enter the Administrator username and password, then click Test to verify the credentials are correct
- In the Sage Login section, enter the username and password of the new Sage Accounts user you created from the prerequisites section at the beginning of this article, then click Test to verify the credentials are correct
Note: If you enter your credentials for the Sage Accounts user, you will receive a notification telling you that the login information is incorrect, then once clicking OK on this message, a Sage Data Objects Logon window will appear. If this happens, click Cancel, then go back to Accounting > Settings and input the correct credentials.
Configuring the Field Settings
- In the Import Sage Data section, click Field Settings
- Act! Link for Accounting will add up to four new tabs in the Companies and/or Contact sections. These are the Sage Accounts tab, the Sales Orders tab, Invoices tab and Invoice lines. Check the boxes for the tabs that you wish to add
- Once selected, you must configure the individual fields that you want to import by clicking the appropriate button under Field Import Selection.
- Click OK
Note: No fields are created by default upon selecting the check boxes.
Importing the Sage Accounts data into Act!
Note: The initial import of the data from Sage Accounts to Act! can take some time to complete so it is strongly recommended that you perform this step and leave it to run.
- In the Import Sage Data section, click Update Sage Data
- When prompted to proceed, click Yes
- Once completed, click Yes on the prompt to close Act! for the changes to take effect
- Reopen Act! and verify that you see the following tabs added to the Contacts and Companies sections of the Layout:
- Sage Account
- Sage Invoices
- Sage Invoice Lines
- Sage Sales Orders (Not available if Act! Link for Accounting is being used with Sage Instant Accounts)
Note: For information on these tabs, refer to the following knowledgebase article:
What is Act! Link for Accounting?
Answer ID What is Act! Link for Accounting? (UK Only)